Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day---Pizza

So, the other night I needed to make dinner really fast and I didn't want to heat up the kitchen. I have a big, really nice, hand-me-down BBQ in the back yard and I had some plastic containers of Artisan Bread in Five dough in the fridge (the recipe is in the previous blog). I decided to make pizza on the BBQ.

I turned on the grill to medium and left it for about 10 minutes to heat up--this is a really important step-- while I flattened out some dough with my hands. I used quite a bit of flour b/c it is really sticky. I made the dough roughly 1/4 to 1/2 thick because it gets stretched even more when you put it on the grill and if you make it too thin it gets holes in it. I went out and put it on the grill and closed the lid. Then I went to go get the topping ready. Next time I would have the toppings ready first because the bread cooks fast (5-7 minutes) and I didn't have all the time I needed. I flipped the bread when it was browned nicely on the bottom side and the top looked puffy. Then I should have had the toppings ready to put on immediately, but I didn't. It took a few minutes more to get them ready. I put BBQ sauce, pineapple, mozzarella, and rotisserie chicken on some of them and made some with red sauce and two kinds of cheese. I closed the lid and everything melted really nicely. The cheese doesn't get browned it just melts. We were eating in about 20 minutes in a cool kitchen and we all agreed that is was the best pizza we had had in a long time. Next time I want to try a pesto pine-nut one and an Indian one as well.

Today when I was searching on the internet I found the Artisan Bread in Five Web-site and one of the authors had a recipe with really good pictures of pizza on the grill. I used flour instead of oil, but it is the same idea. I promise I came up with it on my own first. The desperation that comes from having to make dinner quickly with three demanding children, a budget, and my own hunger makes me really creative sometimes!!! Anyway, here is the link-- http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=237

No comments: