Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Quick Posole




This is a great remedy for turkey and potato overload. It is good with or without chicken.

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
3 tablespoons oil
1-2 chicken breasts
1 (10 oz) can red or green enchilada sauce
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 cups (or more) chicken broth
1 can diced green chilies
2 (15 oz) cans white hominy

In a 3 to 4 quart pan, brown the chicken until nearly done in the oil, remove to a plate. Add garlic and onion to pot and saute one minute or less, cube chicken and add to pot. Add enchilada sauce, oregano, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is no longer pink in center. Add hominy, reheat to simmer. Add garnishes of choice to serve.

soup garnishes:

iceberg lettuce
lime wedges
sliced radish
queso fresco (or monterey jack)
cilantro
tortilla strips

4 comments:

Ann Dee said...

I'm so glad you just posted this. I'm on my way to the grocery store and now I have one more recipe for the week. The only thing I don't have on hand is hominy. What is hominy? I guess I'm going to find out.

Jordan said...

You can find Hominy in the ethnic (mexican) food section of your local grocery store. It makes the soup.

Sara Z. said...

Ann Dee, hominy is one of the best things ever. It's corn processed in a particular way, basically, and it's super yummy. And cheap! My Smith's has it both in "hispanic foods" and also with the other canned vegetables. Comes in yellow and white, doesn't matter which you use. You will thank Jordan for introducing it to you. One of my favorite cheap, easy, one-pot meals is: a can of hominy (drained), a can of beans (rinsed and drained, black beans are good, or pintos, or chili beans in which case don't use anything else spicy), some salsa or Rotel. Top with cheese and/or yogurt or sour cream and/or avocado.

Suzanne said...

This recipe has been in the back of my mind for a while. I'm making it as we speak but don't see when the diced chilies are added. I am guessing I just add the entire can at the same time as the hominy? If you can clarify, that would be great!

Thanks for sharing.