Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Roasted Root Vegetable Ragout with Creamy Polenta


Roasted Root Vegetable Ragout
6 cipolline onions (I used pearl)
4 baby turnips or 2 large, cut in eighths
1 small celery root, peeled and cut into wedges
1/2 pound whole baby carrots
3 new potatoes, halved
2 leeks, white part only, cleaned and cut into 1/4-inch rings
2 parsnips, peeled and quartered
8 brussel sprouts
1 tablespoon (or more) olive oil
2 sprigs each of fresh thyme, rosemary, and parsley
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups Vegetable Stock
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
2 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard (I used red)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serves 4-6
Preheat oven to 475 F.
In a heavy roasting pan, combine the vegetables and olive oil and toss to coat. Roast 20 to 30 minutes, turning every 10 until the vegetables are nicely browned. Meanwhile, tie the herbs together with kitchen string. Transfer the pan to the top of the stove. Add the wine, stock, tomatoes, and herbs and cook over high heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the Swiss chard and cook 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. To serve spoon vegetables and sauce over polenta.
Creamy Polenta
4 cups Chicken Stock/or canned broth
1 cup polenta (yellow grits)
1/4 cup milk
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Serves 4
In a large Saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add the polenta slowly, whisking each addition very briskly. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until thick and creamy. Add the milk (I also added 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese, freshly grated) and stir to thoroughly incorporate. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

6 comments:

Jeni said...

Ok, this is how I want to eat (and cook for my family), but I don't even know where to find baby turnips, celery root, leeks, or parsnips. I was deprived as a child.

Jordan, I think you should post what you feed your kids in an average week, three meals a day. I could use some good, healthy ideas other than quesadillas and toast.

Ann Dee said...

I agree with Jen. Jordan, this looks amazing and I would love to try it but . . . Would you make this if you lived in Utah (ie: can you find these kinds of ingredients here?)? Do your kids eat it? I am going to try to be more adventurous.

gammy said...

yes. you can find these ingredients at any super market. I found them at the farmer's market here because they are the only thing in season right now.

it's a forgiving recipe...I used regular turnips, I couldn't find celery root so I put in some zucchini...you can do whatever you want to--it's not danish pastry (:

Jordan said...

That last comment was me!!

whitneyingram said...

My my my. This sounds delightful. So seasonal. It's in my "To Try" folder.

whitneyingram said...

BTW, those ingredients shouldn't be hard to find. Even podunk Payson Market has that stuff.