Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Asian Slaw

This is my version of Asian Slaw. It is really fresh tasting, especially if you grate/slice your own head of cabbage. It is also pretty inexpensive to make. If I am feeling poor and get invited to a pot-luck or asked to bring a salad to a party then I will often make it. It is always a winner. Last night we ate it alongside Lemongrass Pork Sandwiches.

Asian Slaw

1/2 head cabbage--sliced fine (I put mine through my Bosch or Cuisinart slicer, but it isn't hard to do by hand.)

2 carrots--peeled and grated

3 T regular or black sesame seeds--toasted (I use my toaster oven, but you could do it in a pan or your oven. The cheapest place I have found to buy sesame seeds is the bulk section of Good Earth. They keep for quite awhile, so stock up!!)

This is the dressing I use. It comes together quickly, so don't be intimidated.

Sweet Sour French Dressing yield 1 1/4 C
From Mormon Country Cooking by Winnifred Jardine

1/2 C sugar
1/4 C wine or apple cider vinegar
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
1 T onion, grated (I grate mine on my microplane.)
1/3 C canola oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp celery salt (I leave this out if I don't have it.)

In a small saucepan combine sugar and vinegar; cook just until sugar dissolves. In a pint jar combine sugar-vinegar mixture, lemon juice, onion, oil, and seasonings. Cover; shake thoroughly. Shake again before serving. Also good on fruit salad or melon.

Combine cabbage, carrots, and sesame seeds. Just before serving, add dressing to taste (about 1/2 C). This recipe can be easily doubled or even tripled without having to make extra dressing.







No comments: