Monday, April 12, 2010

Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini


Includes everything I love about italian food; basil, tomatoes, garlic, pasta & yummy veggies. Oh, and of course, sausage!



  • This is based off a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. I tweaked it a little bit, and this is how I like it:

  • 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 5 cups beef broth
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 32 0z. diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
  • 1/2 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
  • 8 ounces fresh tortellini pasta
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

  • In a large pot, brown sausage. Remove sausage and drain, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings.

  • Saute onions and carrots in drippings. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.

  • Stir in beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage.

  • Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

  • Skim fat from the soup. Stir in zucchini, basil and parsley.

  • Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I made this yesterday and my husband said, "This is the best use of sausage I've ever tasted." Yes, it was good, even my kids ate it (with great encouragement).